The Pre-Joint Ministerial Council is held annually as part of the lead-up to the JMC that takes place at the end of the year and sees the political council of UK Overseas Territories Association (UKOTA) join forces to discuss and deliberate the agenda for the JMC.
Hosted on the 11th July at the Convocation Hall, the meeting was chaired by Cllr Leslie Jacques OBE, Governor of Pitcairn Islands and attended by Cayman representatives, The Hon. Alden McLaughlin and Mr Eric Bush along with a Government delegation from each Overseas Territories (OTs).
Whilst each OT member had their own list of priorities and concerns, the purpose of the Pre-JMC is to discuss and pin down all key pointers to raise with the UK ministers at the annual JMC, outtakes included:
- How can the territories manage UK’s decision
- What will the possible impact be of losing the Caribbean Regional Funding
UK / OST Relationship
- Encouraging UK ministers to introduce a revised White Paper to be explored once there is a clearer understanding on Brexit
Security and Access
- Infrastructure development
- OTs allocation of the Conflict Stability and Security Fund
Environmental impact on small islands
- An update from the United Kingdom Overseas Territories Conservation Forum, OT / CD Environment Ministerial Meeting, BEST and Darwin Plus Funding
- Issue of frozen pension